- 3 cups Warm Water—110 degrees F
- Two ¼-ounce packages active dry yeast
- 2/3 Cup honey divided
- 5 Cups Bread Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 3 ½ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky – just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans or directly on a pizza stone/baking stone or baking steel, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, either on a pizza stone/baking stone/baking steel or in a loaf pan; do not over bake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely.
[ilink url=”http://fallsculinary.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/WHOLE-WHEAT-BREAD.pdf” style=”download”]Download Recipe PDF[/ilink]